Chapel in the Pines

The Eastham Universalist Society was established in 1889, and the chapel on Nauset Road was dedicated in 1890. It was designed and paid for by Captain Edward Penniman who went to sea at the age of 11 and was master of his own whaling ship at 29. Called the Chapel in the Pines, it was made famous when Edward Hopper painted it when he lived in Truro in the 1930s and 40s.

%d bloggers like this:
search previous next tag category expand menu location phone mail time cart zoom edit close