After a successful 30+ year career as an award-winning graphic designer and illustrator, I’ve returned to my first love for painting and drawing as a pastel artist.
James McNeill Whistler said, “It is not for artists to copy nature, but to make art out of nature.” My work reflects the beauty and diversity found in nature and in people. Composition, as well as how light affects form and color, is what drives my art. My pastels are done in studio from my own reference photographs, studies, and field notes. Bird pastels are done from photos for which I have received permission to use from the photographers.
I’m fortunate to live part-time on Cape Cod where the unique light, color and vistas provide endless opportunities for inspiration and subject matter. Travel has an influence on my art, too, and gives me fresh perspectives on the places I’ve seen and the people I’ve met.
I have a BA in commercial art and continue my fine art education through classes at the Worcester Art Museum and pastel workshops. In addition to my Eastham Painters Guild membership, I am a current member of the Pastel Painters Society of Cape Cod, the Cape Cod Art Association, the Cape Cod Creative Arts Center, and the Provincetown Art Association. My work has been included in national and international juried art exhibits, including:
- Cape Cod Art Center 2018 National Juried Exhibit “Tell A Story”
- Pastel Society of New Hampshire 9th Annual National Juried Exhibition, It’s Pastels! 2017
- Pastel Society of Maine 18th International National Juried Exhibition, Pastels Only 2017
- Pastel Society of North Carolina International Juried Exhibition, Pure Color 2017
- The Pastel Painters Society of Cape Cod National Juried Exhibitions – For Pastels Only on Cape Cod 2016 & 2017
- 22ND Annual All Cape Cod Art Show Open Juried Exhibition